Skip to main content

A tale of 2 groups - the Glen Nevis Adventures

Winter weather has been very fickle this year.  This week had seen a dump of snow only for it to be mostly washed away.  So we weren't sure what we were going to be doing hill wise for Craggy's stay at the newly refurbished Glen Nevis Hostel.

When the decision was taken to go for this date Alan had a cunning plan for doing the Ring of Steall with a few of us thinking of the Aonachs via the Gondola from Nevis Range.

However........... Good old mother nature may have given a weather window of opportunity but not really of the kind that meant all the original targets were still in play. 50mph winds and a -5C windchill with snow showers were mentioned.  Backup plans B, C, D  were discussed with the Loch Lochy Munros in sight for Alan, Barry, Eleanor, Malcolm and Roddy.  Steve, Kathryn, Niamh, Susan and myself had the Corbett Beinn Bhan if the gondola was off.

The morning arrived and the gondola was on.  Wind can't be that bad.......... or so we thought.  There we are at Nevis Range, heading up on the gondola ready to avoid the ski crowd (and the Mountain Rescue Team on exercise!!) when it stops.  Mmmmm wind is still a bit on the high side.  We were hoping that the MR exercise wasn't a rescue from the gondola.  Thankfully it wasn't and we were soon at the the Snowgoose Station.

There were only a couple of runs on so it was just a case of finding the easiest angled route up to the plateau.   Starting at 655m does give you a good head start but Aonach Mor is 1221m.  We knew there was the potential for some showers so when it hit at around 900m we thought it'll pass over so kept going.  But the "showers" kept coming with really brutal gusts of wind.  With no potential shelter spots to get some respite and still 1.5km to the summit we decided the safest option was just to head back.  

We took what shelter we could get at the closed snack shack at 775m and decided to head over to Sgurr Finnisg-aig, one of the viewpoints.  

Well the wind was just as bad there too.  Nowt for it, we needed warmed up so hot chocolates in the Snowgoose Restaurant it was before heading back down the gondola.  

It was only 2pm and we needed to get the step count up so purely for research purposes we headed to Fort William High Street to see for ourselves the latest happenings in town.  After some gear fondling (and purchases by some) we were pondering how the others were fairing as we had some more coffee in the lovely Garrison West.  

Arriving back at the hostel we found that the gang had been successful in their mission, though they too had encountered the buffetting winds.  

However, there are some unanswered questions as to what had really been going on.  Barry was unable to explain why his right buttock felt that it had been well and truly kicked.  Had they been doing a re-enactment of Father Ted??????

Thanks to all for another successful Craggy weekend trip and all from Alan's original cunning plan. 


Popular posts from this blog

Salomon Mission GTX Boot

I've had these on a few times now and so far they are just what I've been after to get me through the winter for most of my days out. Salomon describe them as being perfect for "light hiking" - take that whatever way you want ;-) They come in at 1210g for the pair and feel fairly easy on the feet. They've handled saturated grassy stuff without me applying the famous arse plant (so far!!). They even seemed to be OK on rocky stuff too. Where I have been really impressed with them is how they handled the snow on Na Gruagaichan. It was hard enough that we were kicking steps. This was easy enough for Steve in his Scarpa SL's and Iain in his La Sportiva Nepals. Initially I followed their steps then decided to give it a go myself. I occasionally had to kick a couple of times on some of the really hard stuff, probably more down to my poor technique than the boot, but they managed well on the cover we had for the ascent. As my balance is rubbish I decided to apply


Creag Meagaidh has been on the to do list for so long. The past couple of years have seen us have to abort at least three attempts at the last minute because conditions weren't for us. So were we going to get it done this time................. YES  The weather bods said mostly dry with a risk of potential showers later in the day.  It was warm so even if it did rain it would be warm.  Off we set having smothered ourselves in factor 50 and Smidge. Warm they said.......... baking I said!!!! We had decided our ascent would be via Coire Ardair and The Window to ease us into the walk on a good path.  It felt more like a slow roasting.  It is a gorgeous walk out to Coire Ardair on a very good path but as soon as we were out of the forest the heat and humidity kicked in.  When we reached Lochan Coire Ardair there was only one thing on my mind, getting my boots off and getting in.  It was at this point I began having major doubts as to whether we would get this done. Bre

Mullach Clach a'Bhlair

Our ascent of Geal Charn Mhor had given us food for thought on what was to be our next hill target.  We'd had notions on either Braeraich or  Beinn Mheadhoin but the lack of winter equipment and uncertainty on the true extent of the snow cover put those ideas on hold for the time being. So maps were scoured and the Glen Feshie hills were winning out.  Steve had already done both Munros, Rob and I had done one (though not the same one) and Kate hadn't done any of them.  A cunning plan was hatched that meant we could all start at the same point but we would split into two groups.  Rob and Kate would head for Sgor Gaoith while Steve and I would go for  Mullach Clach a'Bhlair. The Glen Feshie Estate have done an amazing amount of path work which makes the ascent up Coire Fhearnagan to the beallach an absolute pleasure.  We hit the snow line around 700m but thankfully it wasn't too steep.   The traverse over to Mullach Clach a'Bhlair required a w